2018 Uponor Engineering Summits
Apple Valley, Minn., September 7, 2018
WHEN: Sept. 11-12 and 20-21, 2018
WHERE: Uponor Academy at the company’s North American headquarters in Apple Valley, Minn.
- To offer attending engineer and contractor professionals a superior learning experience, focused on plumbing and heating (radiant and hydronic) piping applications for commercial structures, encompassing new construction, renovation and maintenance projects.
- To award professional engineer attendees with six professional development hours (PDHs).
- To provide attendees with excellent networking opportunities with other engineering and contracting professionals, as well as with Uponor and allied subject matter experts and relevant industry trade media.
ATTENDEES: Consulting and specifying engineers who work for design-build mechanical contracting companies or for independent consulting engineer firms used by mechanical contractors. Also attending: Uponor personnel, independent sales agents and industry trade media. Total attendance is expected to be approximately 50 people at each summit, including presenters, media and Uponor personnel.
PURPOSE: “Professionals connecting with professionals.” At both summits, Uponor is striving to build better relationships with consulting engineers and design-build mechanical contractors by offering them quality training that emphasizes innovation around new technologies and services that deliver better human environments. “The summit gatherings are intended to emphasize the value we place on stronger partnerships with engineers,” says Bill Gray, president, Uponor North America. “Our objective is to meet the engineers’ need to maximize system performance and meet project timelines, while articulating Uponor’s value to them in the form of lower installation and lifecycle costs.”
- Opening session by Robert Bean: Day 1 of each summit begins with a full-morning session, “What Should Be Driving the Sustainability Message – IEQ or Energy?” Led by industry expert and educator Robert Bean, the session will discuss “how to integrate the human sciences of thermal comfort, air and lighting quality with enclosure and HVAC design,” says Bean, “and how energy and eXergy efficiency is the natural outcome from engineering the indoor environment, using human-factor design principles.” The three-hour opening session will be followed by a concluding fourth hour after lunch. By attending both sessions, attendees will earn four PDHs.
- Day 1 will also include a session on “Commercial Piping Systems,” presented by Uponor Engineering Services Business Development Manager Devin Abellon, P.E., who is also an ASHRAE Distinguished Lecturer. Attending the session will bring one PDH. The day will conclude with a tour of Uponor’s manufacturing facilities and a dinner event at the Mall of America in nearby Bloomington, Minn.
- Day 2 will kick off with an hour-long session on “Integrated BIM” by Don Rasmussen, applications engineer with CTC Software. Attending the session will again bring one PDH, for a total of six PDHs over the full two days. Additional sessions will be presented throughout the day by Uponor and CTC personnel on Uponor Project Delivery and Design Services and CTC Software Express Tools.
HISTORY: Uponor has previously hosted engineering summits during its biennial Convention (held in even-number years), as well as in its training classrooms at the Uponor Academy. These two summits have been designed with a stronger focus on industry trends and with content that specifically addresses engineer pain points. The intent is to show how, by working together, Uponor might help attendees solve their problems.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact John O’Reilly (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Payton Bailey (email@example.com) at GreenHouse Digital + PR in Frankfort, IL; 815.469.9100.
Speaker: Robert Bean, R.E.T.
Robert Bean is a Registered Engineering Technologist (R.E.T.) in building construction (ASET) and a Professional Licensee (P.L. Eng.) in Mechanical Engineering (APEGA). He is a design practitioner, author and educator with more than 35 years of experience. Robert is president of Indoor Climate Consultants Inc. and director of healthyheating.com, an online educational resource serving as a technical interpreter and consolidator of academic research done within the building and health science. He is a past two-term ASHRAE Distinguished Lecturer and has received numerous industry awards for his contributions, including the ASHRAE Lou Flagg Award and ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award. Robert serves on several technical committees related to physiology and the human environment, eXergy and sustainability, and radiant-based HVAC systems. He is also the author of numerous industry programs addressing indoor environmental quality and building systems. Robert works at the intersection of business, buildings, science, demographics, industrial design and product ergonomics. His motto is: “All design is human factor design; design for people, good buildings follow.”
Speaker: Devin Abellon, P.E.
Devin Abellon, P.E., is the Business Development Manager for Engineering Services at Uponor North America. He has 23 years of experience in the HVAC and plumbing industries with a focus on high-performance and sustainable building design and construction. Devin holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California at Santa Barbara and is a registered professional engineer in California and Arizona. He is an active member of both the American Society of Plumbing Engineers (ASPE) and the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE). He serves as Programs Subcommittee Chair for ASHRAE TC 6.5 Radiant Heating and Cooling, Region X Nominating Member, and as an ASHRAE Distinguished Lecturer.
Speaker: Don Rasmusson
Don Rasmusson is the Senior MEP Applications Engineer at CAD Technology Center (CTC). He specializes in Revit MEP, as well as AutoCAD MEP, Fabrication, Navisworks, P&ID and Plant 3D. Don has more than 10 years of experience in the MEP construction and engineering fields utilizing BIM and has used the workflow to construct several large projects throughout the Midwest. His experience puts him in a unique position to understand the nuances of the MEP industry and to understand where Autodesk software best fits in the project lifecycle.
Sr. Manager, Corporate Communications
T 800.321.4739, ext. 6775
John O’Reilly or Payton Bailey
GreenHouse Digital + PR
We mean progress.
Apple Valley, Minn.-based Uponor North America strives to be the partner plumbing and HVAC professionals rely on for smart water and energy solutions. The company is helping to advance the construction industry through innovation, education and advocacy focusing on the defining issues of our time: water, energy and labor. An award-winning manufacturer of PEX piping and provider of plumbing, fire safety, radiant heating/cooling, hydronic piping, and pre-insulated piping systems, Uponor offers solutions for new construction, retrofits and remodels in the residential and commercial markets. Uponor partnered with Belkin International in 2016 to form Phyn, a new intelligent water company that is revolutionizing the way consumers interact with water and helping solve major challenges facing the global water supply. Recognized for best-in-class manufacturing, sustainability, economic development and as a top workplace, the Uponor group of companies employs more than 4,000 worldwide. Uponor group’s global headquarters are located in Vantaa, Finland.
© 2018 Uponor, Inc.
Uponor is a trademark of Uponor Corporation and Uponor, Inc.
Back to top
Back to top