Partnering to achieve 100% renewable energy sourcing at Uponor
APPLE VALLEY, MINN., OCT. 30, 2020 — Uponor North America and Xcel Energy today announced a new renewable energy agreement to use solar and wind power to reach nearly 100% renewable energy sourcing in Uponor Minnesota facilities.
“As we celebrate our 30th anniversary year in Apple Valley, we are thankful to be growing and hiring, and very proud to be a Minnesota manufacturing business committed to strong renewable energy standards,” said Bill Gray, president, Uponor North America. “Through this Xcel Energy partnership — as well as strong partnerships for solar and wind power through our partners Dakota Electric Association and Hutchinson Utilities — we know we can achieve our Uponor renewable energy goal of using 100% renewable energy by 2025.”
“Xcel Energy is leading the clean energy transition and delivering more of the carbon-free electricity our customers want, while also providing the reliable energy our customers need to power their businesses,” said Chris Clark, president, Xcel Energy-Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota. “This partnership demonstrates Uponor’s leadership in manufacturing and sustainability, and we’re proud to be a part of that story.”
This Xcel Energy and Uponor partnership is a purchase agreement for renewable energy from the company’s industry-leading programs Windsource and Renewable*Connect, and using Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) to verify the amount of renewable energy used by Uponor. In addition, Uponor will take into account the Certified Renewable Percentage, which is a demonstration of the percentage of renewable energy that all Xcel Energy customers use.
Uponor, as the industry leader providing smart water and energy solutions for plumbing and HVAC professionals, is committed to conserving water, reducing waste, improving energy efficiency and empowering labor. Uponor is an award-winning manufacturer of PEX piping and provider of plumbing, fire safety, radiant heating/cooling, hydronic piping, and pre-insulated piping systems.
The Uponor sustainability commitment began 30 years ago, and it still drives the Uponor team to find innovative ways to achieve our renewable energy and water conservation goals. Uponor’s dedication to sustainability has enabled us to achieve:
- Oct. 2020 — Uponor North America is honored during national manufacturing month as the 2020 Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal Sustainability Minnesota Manufacturer honoree.
- Oct. 2020 — Uponor and Xcel Energy create a unique partnership to source 100% of Apple Valley, Minn., manufacturing needs from renewable energy. The company secured a combination of Xcel Energy’s Windsource and Renewable*Connect along with the Certified Renewable Percentage energy to ensure its annual energy use is matched by renewable energy secured on its behalf.
- Sept. 2020 — Uponor North America became the first company to participate in Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) and Hutchinson Utilities’ Bright Energy Choices (BEC) green energy program in Hutchinson, Minn. Uponor North America purchased Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) to offset the portion of its power supply that comes from fossil fuels. The company’s Hutchinson manufacturing site is now run 100 percent by renewable sources of energy.
- Jan. 1, 2020 — Uponor is the first major Minnesota manufacturer to participate in the Dakota Electric Association’s Wellspring Renewable Energy program. Wellspring Renewable Energy subscribers pay a slight premium to purchase wind energy sold in 100 kilowatt-hour blocks. Uponor North America will annually purchase more than two million kilowatt-hours of wind-generated electricity.
- By enrolling in these programs, Uponor will benefit by having Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) retired on its behalf to offset the portion of the company’s energy usage that includes carbon emissions.
- Forty percent (40%) of Uponor’s square footage is LEED® certified, embracing low-and zero-waste Lean practices.
- Uponor achieved and sustained ISO 14001 certification.
- Uponor pledged with Operation Clean Sweep to keep our plastic resin out of our drains and waterways and to remain focused on water conservation.
For more information, visit Uponor’s sustainability page, uponor-usa.com.
Download individual images as lo-res (web ready; .jpg; RGB) or hi-res (print ready; .tif; CMYK)
Manager, Corporate Communications
E [email protected]
Xcel Energy Media Relations
Randy L Fordice
Senior Media Relations Representative
E [email protected]
John O’Reilly or Payton Meyers
GreenHouse Digital + PR
E [email protected]
E [email protected]
Apple Valley, Minn.-based Uponor North America strives to be the partner plumbing and HVAC professionals rely on for smart water and energy solutions. The company is helping to advance the construction industry through innovation, education and advocacy focusing on the defining issues of our time: water, energy and labor. An award-winning manufacturer of PEX piping and provider of plumbing, fire safety, radiant heating/cooling, hydronic piping, and pre-insulated piping systems, Uponor offers solutions for new construction, retrofits and remodels in the residential, light commercial and commercial markets. Uponor partnered with Belkin International in 2016 to form Phyn, a new intelligent water company that is revolutionizing the way consumers interact with water and helping solve major challenges facing the global water supply. Recognized for best-in-class manufacturing, sustainability, economic development and as a top workplace, the Uponor group of companies employs more than 4,000 worldwide. Uponor’s global headquarters are located in Vantaa, Finland. uponorpro.com
About Xcel Energy
Xcel Energy (NASDAQ: XEL) provides the energy that powers millions of homes and businesses across eight Western and Midwestern states. Headquartered in Minneapolis, the company is an industry leader in responsibly reducing carbon emissions and producing and delivering clean energy solutions from a variety of renewable sources at competitive prices. For more information, visit xcelenergy.com or follow us on Twitterand Facebook.
© 2020 Uponor, Inc.
Uponor is a trademark of Uponor Corporation and Uponor, Inc.
Back to Top